Club News Member Tee Times

Club History

  CLUB  HISTORY          

The Club was founded in 1925

The first President being the Very Reverend Cannon J.J. Hegarty.

The first Captain was J. A. O' Donoghue.

Membership at the time cost £1-1s and green fees were 1s 6d for a round. Caddies were paid at a rate of not more than 6d for nine holes and 9d for eighteen holes. Those entrepreneur\'s hoping to reap the benefits of selling lost balls were paid not more than 3d per ball.

The first Annual General Meeting was held on 17th March 1926 at which the name Belmullet Golf Club and the first Rules and Regulations for the Club were adopted. 1926 also saw the Club affiliating to the Golfing Union of Ireland

At that time the Links was situated at Ballymacsheerin,Cross,Binghamstown.

Cross Binghamstown

The agreement regarding the use of lands for the links was drawn up between the Trustees of the Club, Pat Mc Andrew and Anthony Mc Andrew in 1928.

Mr. W.E. Mc Namara of Lahinch Golf Club was employed in 1929 to help lay out the course and give some lessons. A subsidy of £2-10-0 was received from the Golfing Union of Ireland in September 1929 to help defray the cost of his employment.

A critical point in the Club\'s history was reached in 1934, due to the decline in memberships the Club was unable to pay the cost of rent for the Links and was on the verge of being disbanded. However the situation was retrieved when the owners accepted a rent of £15 per year for the Links.

In 1992 the Club moved from the nine hole links at Cross Binghamstown to the spectacular new 18 hole (now 27 hole complex) Carne Golf Links,the last Links course to be designed by the late Eddie Hackett. 

 The Club Logo

The Legend of the Children of Lir

Many years ago in ancient Ireland there was a King called Lir. He had a beautiful wife, Niamh, and they had four children including twin boys, Fiachra and Conn. Alas, Niamh died when the children were very young. The children were very sad and the King decided that he wanted a new mother for his children. So he married Niamh’s sister, whose name was Aoife. It was said that Aoife had magical powers.

At first, they were all very happy and Aoife loved the children. However, it wasn’t long before she became very jealous of the children. King Lir spent a lot of time with them, and she wanted all of his attention. So, one day, she took the children to a lake for a swim, where she cast a spell over them. She turned them all into beautiful swans with feathers as white as snow. Aoife knew that if she killed the children, their ghosts would haunt her forever. Instead, she forced them to live as swans for 900 years – 300 years on Lake Derravaragh, 300 on the Straits of Moyle and 300 on the island of Inis Gluaire. Lake Derravaragh is in Co. Westmeath, and the Straits of Moyle is between northeastern Northern Ireland and the highlands of Scotland. The island of Inis Gluaire (Inishglora) is off the coast of the Mullet Peninsula in Erris, Co. Mayo – in full view of holes 11, 12, 13 and 14 at Carne Golf Links.

One day on Inis Gluaire, at the end of their 900 years, the Children of Lir heard a bell ringing. It was a monk, now known as St. Brendan the Navigator, who had rung the bell in his church. Upon hearing the echo of the bell, the swans turned back into their human form. St. Brendan baptised them and looked after them, but they did not live for very long after that. They were buried together in one grave on the island and that night, St. Brendan dreamed of four swans flying up through the clouds. He knew then that the Children of Lir were on their way to heaven to reunite with their mother and father.